The history of Farndale Village Hall dates to 1953 when Earl Feversham the then owner of the dale gifted a small plot of land to the dale for the hall.
The history of the hall itself however dates back to the second world war when it was an Army Hut in Duncombe Park, Helmsley.
Around 1955 the building was also gifted to the dale by Earl Feversham was dismantled, transported to Farndale and rebuilt as a hall.
Since then it has been key to life in the remote moorland community. Being used by a large range of community organisation and for a large range of activities from dances to children’s Christmas parties, from craft fairs to domino drives.
The hall construction is wood, despite many repairs it is still recognisably the same building it was 60 years ago.
In 2004 a structural survey found the hall was showing it’s age and life is now limited and a new hall project was started please see our new hall page. Essential repairs were undertaken to ensure the hall can continue in use in the short term until we could obtain funding to build a replacement.
Various options were considered but the best option was identified was to rebuild on the current site. Subsequently a small additional strip of land has been donated by the Farndale Estate so when rebuilt a small car park can be provided . Our plans are to build a fully accessible building with a similar capacity.
Over the past 14 years we have managed to raise around £65,000 plus a further £20,000 committed at the end of 2017. The Big Lottery have given a conditional grant offer of £293,000 capital funding including plus a development Grant of £23,000 and further £8000 revenue funding, together with other promised funds mean we are almost there.
The new build is underway and we hope to have the first event in April/May 2019
Please help, our online donation site is: https://mydonate.bt.com/charities/farndalevillagehall
We would like to thank all our funders which to date include: